Sunday, April 8, 2007

New!!



'He is risen'
http://www.heqigallery.com/index.htm

Alright, Melt reminded me to blog in this.

Today's Easter mass was really nice, children leading the way. All the lectors, wardens, psalmists became shorter and sweeter. And the homily was really simple. The whole point of easter is not about holidays, bunnies or eggs. It's about Jesus. It was a little toned down for the children, like watching a 'Hi-5!' show, but I think it's really impiortant even as 'adults' to come back to one simple reason for everything. Jesus. Name above all names.

The best part of the mass was when the children swarmed to the front after Father said they were distributing chocolates. Hehe.

Anyway, I read Catholic News and as usual, I head straight for my Father Rolheiser Column. His topic wsa on 'Overcoming Hypersensitivity'. It was a good article and I think people in our community are like this. Being humans, we are sensitive even when we put up front that we are not. Everyone bruises easily. Simply by not saying Hi or just the tone of your voice can reflect just how much you value a person or your conversation with him or her.

He speaks of a petty soul and a generous soul. One day you feel like Jesus, the next day you feel like Judas. It's confusing isn't it? The challenge he puts across is to overcome our hypersensitivity and see it as something to be converted from so that we can be resilient to absorb the bumps and bruises of verday living.

Quoting from Daniel Barrigan (dunno who this is), "If Jesus came back today he would go into every counselling office in the world and drive out both the doctors and their clients with the words, ' Take up your couch and walk! You don't have to be this sensitive!'".

In my life, I am seeking to be resilient in the little insults, negativities, insensitivities I face in my family, with my friends, in my work and sometimes even in my relationship. Becoming tougher does not necessarily mean becoming cynical and less compassionate. I think it's just another way for placing less focus on yourself and looking at the bigger picture in life. Life is new everyday when we choose to let our resentment flow away from us and appreciate the freshness of the air, the morning sunshine, the love shown to us in the smallest of ways.

Guess everyone in community is living more individual lives, which to me is inevitable since we are of an age that is making serious decisions with family, friends, career. But my hope is that we may take sometime to offer a listening ear to others, a warm smile to those who have been away. For us still buried in our graves, pray for the strength to rise again into the newness of life.

Alleluia!

No comments: